Saturday, June 1, 2013

How to be an expolorer of the world.


I have left my country once before. 

It was nice, and i will never forget it.

The first time you leave your country in my opinion is the truest and most spiritual experience.

I love the Canary Islands and the first time i came here i found myself, but it wasn't just the island that showed me who i was, it was the world. I still don't fully know and that's ok. I have yet to see all there is to see. My eyes were opened that first time and since then i have realized the picture i have been looking at my whole life is so much bigger than i ever imagined. (kind of like when you are cleaning out your shower drain because youve been taking bath/showers for the past month and you see a cluster of hair and think,"ew gross, let me get that" so you do. you start pulling it out- only then you realize its a whole lot bigger then you thought and as its coming out from way down in your drain your thinking, "ew gross" and your kinda shocked but also thinking, "this is kinda cool because now my shower will drain"... but also because its your hair that did that-which makes you think, "ew gross. again."

The first country besides my own i ever saw was Spain. My plane from America landed in Madrid last summer and for the first time i took a breath of foreign air. To my surprise it was just like the air iv always breathed and thats when i realized,

1. I had been misled in elementary school.
2. I could leave the oxygen mask on the plane
3. I didnt need to be as scared as i was.

I was scared to leave my home. Really scared. In fact, i was so scared that i can honestly say  it was the bravest thing i have ever done, but as i got off that plane and had the thought, "they breath the same air" i suprised myself. I thought of course they do, but thats when i realized

4. that all along i really wasn't sure they did.

This lead me to realizing how clueless i was and also how small. Which then lead to me discovering myself and eventually to this blog where you too can become an explorer of the world.


and also to not try and take the oxygen masks off the plane with you as the flight attendants get testy about it.

 and they don't think its funny.

love,
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment